agraffe stub misery

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 12:27:04 MST 2008

Sure, sometimes it's EZ, but other times it's hell. The customer has a big
(7 ft or so) old (ca. 1889) H F Miller grand, and there's a popped off
agraffe at the note just above the top treble section strut. A couple weeks
ago I was at the customer's home, at which time I tuned & voiced their
Yamaha G3. After finishing that, I took a look at this big ol' relic. I
tried the "tap a snaggle toothed screwdriver into the stub remnant & back it
out" routine. Also the "see if you can tap it counterclickwise to back it
out" scenario. No go.
Well, I knew my left hand bits were back at home, so I packed it in for the
day. Made a follow-up appointment for earlier this morning. Set my high
torque drill and left hand bits down, opened the piano up & took another
look at that agraffe stub. OOK, it's RIGHT NEXT TO a massive (3" or so tall)
strut! The chuck on my drill is way too fat to center the bit into the stub.
So my plans to drill a hole into the stub & spin it out were thwarted.
So what's my best option? I don't think I'm going to find a set of superlong
left handed bits. A very skinny flex shaft? Anyone have a preferred brand? A
while back my local hardware had a very lame looking (no name China made)
version -- I would prefer to get something others have had success with.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick Draine RPT