Temperaments used for Beethoven CD?

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 07:46:34 MST 2008

<< Does anyone have the "Beethoven in the Temperaments" CD?

I've misplaced the portion of the liner notes that tells which

temperament was used for each track number.>>

Greetings,
   A Prinz was used for the first two, "Pathetique" and Op. 14 # 1.   A Young
was the tuning Op. 27 and 53.
        The Prinz  was specifically chosen for the Pathetique because of its
full syntonic comma thirds that form the harmony for the middle movment( Ab) .
 It seems that this was the generally accepted limit of tempering for most of
the well-temperaments, and I wanted there to be an example of what that size
third sounded like on a modern piano.   Tuners and musicians tend to have
divergent impressions of the effect, but I got a lot of comments on that
particular passage.
     There are others that find musical resources in even more tempered
intervals, it's a matter of taste, and most of us have learned there is simply no
way of accounting for any of it. (that's pretty non-committal, I know).
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on
AOL Money & Finance.<BR>