key leads

Robin Stevens pianobee at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 4 22:38:27 MST 2008

Les I have found the best way is to have a designated 5/8 (new, or very
sharp) chisel in your tool kit just for dealing with this problem. I
normally have a old cutting board in my car and place a thick layer of
newspaper over the board so that the off cuts can be wrapped up and thrown
away. I place the key on the newspaper covered board (keytops upwards) and
then apply a downward cut with the chisel, sometimes two cuts are needed if
they are thick. Using a file will only clog up after one or two keys. They
normally will grow back after a few years so I've got no idea if sealing the
lead stops them from growing again. Spraying the key with lacquer seems a
bit messy when you could do the same job with a small brush.

Robin Stevens ARPT

South Australia