steinway keys

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro at verizon.net
Sun Mar 2 16:29:30 MST 2008

Rick,
    I will post that picture again with this reply. It is normal and smart to have a thin piece of wood glued to the front of the key under ivory or bone fronts.  The reason is because nothing glues well to end grain in this manner (a butt joint).  Ivory and bone are less porous than wood so their joint is even poorer still, again, in this manner, but if you glue your ivory on to wood first, usually Basswood, it will glue up better to the end grain than the ivory or bone by itself, thus giving you the most effective glue joint for the situation. Plastic fronts don't have these same problems, they are not a natural material, and don't expand and contract like ivory and wood, plus they are not porous, so their bond works on a different principle.  Good luck,   Mike

Michael A. Morvan
Blackstone Valley Piano
Dedicated To Advancing The Art Of Keyboard Restoration
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma. 01569
(508) 278-9762
Keymaestro at verizon.net