Copyright

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 2 08:56:45 MST 2008

At 05:13 PM 2/29/2008, David wrote:

>Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough!?  We should all purchase a
>copy (and I have several times) of the PPA as the need for it arises
>frequently.  That being said, if somebody doesn't have one and needs
>to ask for the date of manufacture of a particular piano, I don't
>see a problem with providing the information.  Quoting information
>from a source in a written document, or email, is not an
>infringement.  You should, however, cite the source.

This a rather broad interpretation of the "Fair Use" principle, which
does allow the quotation of excerpts from copyrighted works, with
attribution. The law, however, specifies the circumstances under
which such quotes may be published. Whether it applies to publication
via e-mail distribution list is for lawyers to decide. But I wish to
draw your attention again to the terms of use of this list that our
Friendly List Administrators pointed out:

http://www.ptg.org/AboutUs-termsOfUse.php

Ultimately, they decide what we can or can't post on this list... And
it is their - and their lawyer's interpretation - that counts...

Israel Stein