Wives tales ... violin tuning

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jun 30 07:02:54 MDT 2008

David,

I had a customer back in Seattle who had me out to tune her piano once. It
hadn't been tuned in years, but was one of those pianos that went nicely
uniformly flat so it sounded fairly decent.  After explaining pitch
raising and diving into the project, she stopped me and said, "that A now
sounds like a B-flat!  I can't handle it! Please put it back!!"  Her
"perfect pitch" was exactly a half-step off.  Interesting what one's brain
will do to you.  From then on, I just tuned her piano a half-step flat and
she could name any note on the piano and loved the tunings.

Ya never know in this business!

Paul

"David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
06/29/2008 03:09 PM
Please respond to
ilvey at sbcglobal.net; Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
RE: Wives tales ... violin tuning

I had a customer a few days ago, whose piano I tuned 2 years ago.   She
played some notes and said how flat they were...the piano in general
sounded reasonable.   I got started and the piano was indeed about 4 cents
flat and 7 in the treble.   When done I asked her if she had perfect
pitch...wasn't sure.  I played a D and she said that sounded like a
D...pretty cool...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044