Wives tales ... violin tuning

Jlmatt at aol.com Jlmatt at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 08:36:47 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/30/2008 3:18:36 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
ricb at pianostemmer.no writes:

Seems to  me there is no inherent purpose of the viol family instrument
to play  perfect intervals of any sort.  Rather it is simply to make
beautiful  music...which of course includes the ability to blend in ---
pitch wise  also --- with any/all accompanying instruments as best is
possible.
That's exactly what I mean, the ability to blend in pitchwise is  wonderful.
Now when you say the viol family, you probably mean the violin  family. Viol
family instruments have frets on the fingerboard. After you tune  them the
pitches are fixed like on a piano and the intervals are tempered.
The violin family instruments do not.

Jean-Luc