Wives tales ... violin tuning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 29 10:57:47 MDT 2008

As long as we are daddling around the subject matter... I just came back
from a concert tuning where the violinist asked me what pitch I tuned
at... I said 442, which is the norm here... and asked her where she set
her violin pitch wise. 442 was the response in a rather harse reply. I
said back.. really... many violinists end up a bit higher then the
piano... would you like to check with my ETD ?  She was at 445.  Perfect
pitch and all that you understand... a few tense moments there whilst I
explained my ETD was calibrated to the Universal Clock in New Mexico...
or where ever that is and besides... I had three pitch forks with me
that all showed the same thing.

Cheers
RicB

        Fortuntely atleast one violinist i heard so far tunes in ET and
        not that crappy  pure 5ths... I thought my significant other to
        tune his violin in ET, after a year of struggle he keeps
        thanking me.. says the sound vinally stopped "slicing" his ears
        and sounds in warm harmony... From associating with them...
        violinists not only tend to think strangely bout their own
        instruments.. but worse. rat down on pianos... I was told by him
        that while he was studying, his professors always said "pianos
        are never in tune"... and some worse things...

        Sorry to change the subject, i thought id mention ET.

     From: ricb at pianostemmer.no>

     "Sadly, it's often pianists themselves."> > Violinists and
    Bureaucratic Cultural Pamps are also very high on that list.> >
    RicB> > > >