Flitz for repetition springs?

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Jun 29 04:27:05 MDT 2008

Holly -
First, I'm not sure it makes a difference, (somebody?) but, for some
applications, I prefer the paste form of Flitz, not the liquid.
Next, your actual approach might be a little different, depending
upon whether you are dealing with mounted parts or removed from
frame.  I'm in the process of doing a set, unmounted, right now, so
process is fresh in my mind.
To sort out some of the divergent responses:

- If tallow is hardened and built up on spring, it is definitely
perceptible, and not a waste of time to address.
- As for the tool, a sharpened tool can do damage in two ways.  It
can distort the profile of the groove so that it begins to hug the
sides of the rounded portion of the spring and actually create very
noticeable drag.  Also, you can inadvertently dig a depression into a
spot along the groove's profile which will also transmit a noticeable
feel (bump) to the movement of the rep. lever.
- I suspect that the type of high polish result you would achieve
with Ed Suttons dremel approach would be of greater significance in
those situations where totally dry lubricant has been employed, such
as Emralon, or where the groove has been completely cleaned out using
a solvent, such as alcohol.  If the springs are really dirty, you
would want to protect the rep lever surface from transferring all that schmutz.
- The hammershank method (John Delacour) or pencil (RevenkoJones)
works, though I have some doubt regarding how much graphite gets
transferred (and burnished into) the wood which has not been
thoroughly cleaned of all traces of tallow.

The main thing would be to clean the spring and remove the built-up,
hardened excess tallow.

Uses for Flitz?  Capstans, action frame glides, keypin cleaning, drop
screw polishing, tarnished center pins, unlacquered brass, etc.

Have fun.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY