Wives tales ...

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 29 05:21:10 MDT 2008

I heard another variant of this one from a highly respected sound
technician in Norway.  It goes like this... when a Steinway D gets its
plate removed for rebuilding at the factory, the plate needs to
<<relax>> for over a years time with no tension on it before it can be
put back into the piano to be re-used.

Where he heard this or got this idea I don't know.  Perhaps there is the
proverbial grain of truth in their somewhere that after filtering down
through several "re-tolds" became so changed that by the time he was the
recipient it was a whole year of relaxing ?  Like the fish story ... the
one that keeps getting bigger.

Cheers
RicB

    One of my clients was a family whose old grand piano desperately
    needed new strings.
    They informed me, with unswerving conviction, that removing the old
    strings would cause the plate to explode.

    Carman Gentile RPT