The Archives and Desktop Publishing

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Jun 27 04:54:06 MDT 2008

To All:

I'm not revealing any state secrets when I say that the Pianotech Forum is a
goldmine of good information.  We have so many talented people who
participate in the discussions.  Regularly threads on a topic are begun and
carried forward by many contributors, to the continuing benefit of all of
us.

It's all very interesting, but I want to take this stuff back to the shop
and use it.  Like everything else in the information age, there is too much
to sort through.  The key to getting the greatest value from the material is
to organize it in a coherent and useful manner.

I have gotten myself into the habit of creating a MS Word document for a
particular topic at hand - right now I am building one for the Wessell,
Nickel, & Gross plate suspension system discussion that is ongoing.  I copy
and paste the text from a posting into Word, and I copy & paste pictures
into those documents (yes, a picture is worth a thousand words!!).  From
following posts, I copy and paste what I find useful.

I do edit the deathless prose of our contributors for clarity and
readability (and economy of words).  Usually I standardize the text into one
font and format, and organize pictures and text for maximum readability.
Since it is a word processing document, I can add to it as other information
becomes available.

When I think the thread has run its course,  I print out the document and
place it in a titled folder.  Then I can take it into the shop and, when I
am ready to do this NEXT BIG THING for me I pull it out and put it in front
of me.  There it is - straight and to the point of attack.

I also do this when researching the archives for particular topics.  That's
a real time saver.

All of this takes far less time than it seems, and I have great information
that I can use for my benefit.

Probably others are doing the same, but I did want to share this valuable
tool with others who may not have discovered this benefit of the graphical
environment we live in every day.

Will Truitt