Steinway Plate strut Q

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jun 27 02:00:25 MDT 2008

Sometimes the thing can be the root of buzzing noises and techs remove
them.  IMB they should be refitted so as to not have any such problems.
I've had to on a couple occasions line the thing  with a bit of thin
felt where it screws in on either end in order to quiet them once and
for all. In both cases I was able to do this with the instrument strung
and at full tension but posts I've read from others experiencing similar
problems with the cross strut relate that this is not always the case.

If you have the cross strut, re-install it.  I am not sure it will solve
any of your sustain problems... but it was designed to be a part of the
plates support system and IMB should be there.

Cheers
RicB

    Greetings all:
    I recently encountered, for the first time ever, a SS- D where the
    cross strut (my term here) had been removed.
    The strut I am referring to is the one that connects from the
    bass/tenor break over to the treble hitch pin and support bolt area.
    It is plate steel and usually has STEINWAY raised cast onto the
    metal. It connects to the plate with machine screws.
    Initial findings and observations: The 2 machine screws were still
    screwed into the plate.
    Pitch was at 440.  Noticable lack of sustain in treble and high
    treble. Plate had no structural issues (yet)
    I am uncertain who what or when this was done but my best guess is
    that it was forgotten during a restringing.
    All comments and opinions as to the good bad or indifferent of this
    issue are appreciated. I do have a plan of action but wanted to field
    this one to the list first.
    Cordially,
    Gerry Cousins, RPT
    cousins_gerry at msn.com