Ernst Kaps grand

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 14:01:10 MDT 2008

At 11:40 -0700 26/6/08, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>..."Panzer", by the way means nothing more than "strong, protective
>plate" aka "armored". (Think turtles and bank vaults.)
>Perhaps Kaps used that term in connection with full piano plates as
>opposed to 3/4 plates?

It could also be that the frames were made of cast steel rather than
cast iron.  About the turn of the century Broadwood's grand frames
were of cast steel, including, I think, the frame for the barless
grands.  Such a frame would, I think, be extremely tough and very
expensive to produce compared with the usual grey iron casting.

JD