Old Style Leather Buttons

Paul Chick tune4u at fmwildblue.com
Wed Jun 25 19:16:07 MDT 2008

 Re: Old Style Leather Buttons

Paul -

I made some of these for an M&H rebuild a year or two ago, using advice from
Joe Garrett.  Drill holes in a plank with your bit that will define the
contour, width, and height of the buttons.  I had 3 different sizes.  Lay
appropriate leather - I used black deerskin - into holes in plank
(oversized, for later trimming), fill with dense felt made into the
appropriate size with a hole punch (glued together, if necessary) and use a
small amount of glue on the sides of the leather (interior) to affix the
felt to the leather; clamp the whole mess together overnight; next day
unclamp, trim away the excess leather, and voila!

Worked great for me. A real step up from rubber...

Mark Potter

Paul Chick <tune4u at fmwildblue.com> wrote:

List members:

A client wants the original leather buttons installed on his ebony grand.

Thanks, Mark.  I will try this approach.

Paul C