Old Style Leather Buttons

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 24 20:41:43 MDT 2008

Paul -

  I made some of these for an M&H rebuild a year or two ago, using advice from Joe Garrett.  Drill holes in a plank with your bit that will define the contour, width, and height of the buttons.  I had 3 different sizes.  Lay appropriate leather - I used black deerskin - into holes in plank (oversized, for later trimming), fill with dense felt made into the appropriate size with a hole punch (glued together, if necessary) and use a small amount of glue on the sides of the leather (interior) to affix the felt to the leather; clamp the whole mess together overnight; next day unclamp, trim away the excess leather, and voila!

  Worked great for me. A real step up from rubber...

  Mark Potter

Paul Chick <tune4u at fmwildblue.com> wrote:
                List members:
  A client wants the original leather buttons installed on his ebony grand.  They are glued into a specially shaped hole in the lid, etc.  Wasn’t there an article in the PTJ about how to make/replace these bumpers.  Some of them were lost in the veneer repair stages.  I usually fill the old holes and use a stem bumper that’s available through supply houses.  But he wants to stay as original as possible.  Right now, all I have is  modified spade bits for the convex and concave profiles to form the holes.
  Paul C