TFL50 on knuckles?

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jun 25 15:16:34 MDT 2008

Holly,

I see nothing wrong with spraying TFL50 Dry (or McLube 444A, or applying Teflon powder) on knuckles.  If they are already mounted to the action bracket, I flip up the hammers, lay newspaper down on either side of the knuckles and put newspaper behind the shanks to avoid any overspray issues.  Works well.

William R. Monroe

  So I'm doing a knuckle replacement job, and I swear it looks like someone actually sprayed the knuckles with TFL50. There's a white film on the shanks and tops of the whippens that looks like it could only have been sprayed on. Teflon powder, I've heard of, yes - but using a spray? Is this a common or reasonable practice? Just curious...

  -Holly Quigley