Front Rail Keypin Alignment Reality Check

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jun 24 17:36:58 MDT 2008

Things get old Terry...    what can ya do ?  That said... BeFORE I bend
pins to evenly space keys on any piano I first see if there is anything
to be had by turning the pin. Sometimes bushings wear unevenly... left
side most... right side most... and it yields an apparent need to bend
the pin

A piano that has had pins bent, and then you do nice brand new
bushings... may more then likely require having the majority of pins
bent back to their original status.

So... if you are persnickety enough to get into this... straighten all
key pins before rebushing... in all directions.

btw... did you drive all the way out to Cal ?

Cheers
RicB

    I think I'm obsessing again. Everybody knows that you bent front
rail keypins slightly to evenly space keys. But when I do that I get
increased key friction - which seems reasonable as the keypin is no
longer parallel with the long (depth) axis of the keypin mortise. But I
hadn't really noticed such a problem previously, nor have I ever heard
anyone address this.

    I'm doing this on a keyboard with nice new key bushings. When the
pin is aligned with the mortise slot, there is near zero friction. But
when you bent the pin to move the key over, friction picks up real quickly.

    So what's going on here??????

    Terry Farrell
    Farrell Piano