Front Rail Keypin Alignment Reality Check

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 16:27:04 MDT 2008

 How deep are the bushings?

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 2:59 pm
Subject: Front Rail Keypin Alignment Reality Check

I think I'm obsessing again. Everybody knows that you bent
front rail keypins slightly to evenly space keys. But when I do that I get
increased key friction - which seems reasonable as the keypin is no longer
parallel with the long (depth) axis of the keypin mortise. But I hadn't really
noticed such a problem previously, nor have I ever heard anyone address
this.

?

I'm doing this on a keyboard with nice new key bushings.
When the pin is aligned with the mortise slot, there is near zero friction. But
when you bent the pin to move the key over, friction picks up real
quickly.

?

So what's going on here??????

?