Old Style Leather Buttons

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 10:53:30 MDT 2008

Hi Paul
  Trix always repalces the original Leather buttons after finishing. It's fairly simply. The leather is such a long term permanent bumper. She'll be back Friday if you wish to pick her brains.
  WHen the conical profiles have been butchered she has some magic to restore them.
  You could pick my brains but they were picked clean in Anaheim.
  Dale

List members:

A client wants the original leather buttons installed on his ebony grand.  They are glued into a specially shaped hole in the lid, etc.  Wasn’t there an article in the PTJ about how to make/replace these bumpers.  Some of them were lost in the veneer repair stages.  I usually fill the old holes and use a stem bumper that’s available through supply houses.  But he wants to stay as original as possible.  Right now, all I have is  modified spade bits for the convex and concave profiles to form the holes.

Paul C