Keyslips making keys stick

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Mon Jun 23 23:39:02 MDT 2008

It sounds like you're thinking that the unfinished side of the keyslip
is going to pick up moisture while the other side does not, thus causing
unequal expansion and bowing. But with the grain of a keyslip running
along its length, I would think this effect would be negligible, owing
to the tendency of wood to expand across the grain very much more than
with it.

That said, I still can't account for why some keyslips warp in, some
don't warp, but I don't recall one that warped out. It might have more
to do with how the wood was dried or how straight the grain is?

Also I wonder if there is some historical reason why the back sides of
keyslips are unfinished, while so many other case parts are varnished
both sides.

Tom Cole