Keyslips making keys stick

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Jun 23 06:18:21 MDT 2008

Ric Brekne wrote:
> As I understand it, these solutions involve placing / gluing  something or
> another in between the front of the key frame front rail and the key slip.
> If thats the case I see nothing elegant about the solution at all.

Perhaps you need to look deeper.  ;-]

> Simple perhaps, but no more so then a more appropriate fix. If this was a
> good way of doing thing I am quite sure virtually every piano manufacturer
> would have some kind of similar thing built into their pianos from the get
> go. None do... and that should be a clue.

Now, we don't really believe that because manufacturers don't use a practice
that it has no validity, do we Ric?  Those aren't the clues that guide me.

> If the thing it warped... unwarp it.

OK, and I've had the warp return.  Maybe not frequently, but once is enough.
The solution works, does not interfere with any requirement placed on the
piano, does not devalue the piano in any way, and on, and on......

Kindest Regards,
William R. Monroe