Bechstein B hammer rake / more thoughts

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 17:16:25 MDT 2008

Ric writes:
<< Can anyone give an example of an instrument designed to have its hammers

5 mm + higher then the tops of the shank flanges ?? >>

Greetings,
  I don't think it is a design parameter, but rather, a consequence of  poor
tolerances of plate height and action fitting, but I have seen numerous
Steinways from the '60's that required the hammers be this high to prevent having a
unworkable keydip.  Somehow, the forefinishing department obviously didn't
think that 1/2" gap between the hammershank and the rest cushion was a problem...

regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos
for fuel-efficient used cars.<BR>