Bechstein B hammer rake / more thoughts

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jun 21 14:52:35 MDT 2008

Hi Stéphane and whomelse ever.

Been digging through the archives and find that this querrie of mine
dont seem to have an answer.  A couple interesting posts that are
relevant... First one from Dale Erwin where this bit about the
horizontal shank at impact being important comes up.

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2006-November/198133.html

Then a similiar instrument to my own is being discussed in the following
exchange between David Love and Jon Page back in 2002 where Jon more or
less tells us to give up trying to make either boring protocol work. He
does go for the hammer being perpendicular to the string at impact, but
the angle to the shank is a whatever works affair.  Jon starts this by
saying one has to basically throw out the string distance minus center
pin distance approach on Bechsteins.

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2002-April/106174.html

All this and more reading leaves me narrowing in on a conclusion that we
dont actually have a bonified bore distance formula that we can really
count on.  Now that doesnt sit right for some reason.  There should be a
way of calculating a more then usuable bore length and rake angle given
a few basic measurements.  Still seems obvious that the one thats been
defacto standard as long as I've been reading this list is undependable.

Cheers
RicB