Cracked Apron

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jun 20 07:19:36 MDT 2008

I would definitely test several strings to check for pin tightness and
resiliency of the wire. Occasionally you'll run across an old upright that
has no give left in the wire, it has work hardened and will not allow any
pulling up to pitch before breaking. If both those things are okay it should
"hold" a tune.

If you don't want to do the full pitch raise check 3-4 strings in each
octave. Just lower the tension a little then pull it up 20 cents sharp of
pitch (you'll need some sort of meter for reference). If it feels springy
you should be good. If it feels like you are pulling up against a brick wall
you could be in trouble. Check especially the more rusted strings.

If the pins are loose then sell her on a CA job for the tuning pins as well.
You may need to do this anyway with the amount you are turning the bass
strings to fix the bridge.

When lowering the bass string tension don't forget to grab the wire in the
middle and pull laterally as you loosen to keep the coils tight on the pins.
This will keep the wire from flexing at the becket and breaking.

Don't forget also to check for separation of soundboard from ribs,
especially at any cracks. If you find 'em- CA glue 'em (or your favorite
method).

You don't need to repair the broken hammer to do a rough pitch raise, just
pluck those strings. Ditto for the notes where the keys don't work. And I
would think a single pass would be more than sufficient to tell you of the
pianos tunability health.

Good luck!

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359