Machine Threads in Pinblock, was WD-40

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 03:12:39 MDT 2008

Re: Machine Threads in Pinblock, was WD-40Hi Ron!  I also use coarse thread as you do. However, I have tried tapping the maple and found that it made the hole too big - I used the proper tap for the given machine screw. I figured that the maple must have enough give in it (compared to metal), that caused the poor fit. I've gone to simply drilling a hole a little smaller than the thread and simply running a buttered (wax) machine screw into the hole (just like one does with a wood screw). I seem to get the nice tight fit that way. Do you find that you machine screw have a snug fit after tapping the hole?

Terry Farrell