Original pin block

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 17 21:10:10 MDT 2008

> I guess that's true.  Sorting pins for an old block is probably a waste of
> time since it's not likely that the old holes are uniform anyway.  I suppose
> if you redrill or ream, however, they may be more uniform but the variation
> in wood compression in each hole from the original non uniform pins might
> still render the exercise somewhat useless.

I'd expect you're well into the diminishing returns thing with
decent modern cut thread pins and a block of some resilience.

> On a new block that's double drilled I would guess that the holes are quite
> uniform and sorting might help graduate the torque a bit if that's important
> to you.  I used to mic pins regularly as well as roll them on a flat surface
> but after awhile I didn't find that much variation and so now I don't really
> do it.  I've gone back and forth between Denro and Diamond and have settled
> on Diamond pins as they seem a bit more uniform (plus I like their bluing
> better).
>
> David Love

I quit micing pins when I abandoned Delignit for a more
resilient and forgiving composite. There is some small torque
variation with Denro pins, but not enough to compel me to
start micing and sorting pins again. As usual, it's what meets
our individual criteria, when the rest of the world likely
wouldn't care one way or the other.
Ron N