Original pin block

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 19:17:31 MDT 2008

I guess that's true.  Sorting pins for an old block is probably a waste of
time since it's not likely that the old holes are uniform anyway.  I suppose
if you redrill or ream, however, they may be more uniform but the variation
in wood compression in each hole from the original non uniform pins might
still render the exercise somewhat useless.

On a new block that's double drilled I would guess that the holes are quite
uniform and sorting might help graduate the torque a bit if that's important
to you.  I used to mic pins regularly as well as roll them on a flat surface
but after awhile I didn't find that much variation and so now I don't really
do it.  I've gone back and forth between Denro and Diamond and have settled
on Diamond pins as they seem a bit more uniform (plus I like their bluing
better).

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com