Original pin block

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 17 10:11:39 MDT 2008

> Sorting the pins as you mention I think is a good idea.

I wonder. I'd bet nobody sorted the original pins, and there
was likely more variation in size then than with today's cut
thread pins (as I recall from micing rolled thread pins 30
years ago). So the existing holes are neither uniform, nor
calibrated bass to treble. Sorting pins could well lessen the
probability of putting an undersized pin in an oversize hole
in the bass, but in as soft a block as Steinway's, I'd think
it's a boarder line return.

Ok, I'll quit observing now and go back to work.
Ron N