Where are the new techs needed?

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Fri Jun 13 10:43:50 MDT 2008

An RPT is a Registered Piano Technician, who has passed stringent
standardized tests to determine that s/he has at least a minimal inkling of
the workings of a piano, how to make everyday repairs, and how it should be
tuned.

A "tooner" makes like s/he is an old pro, when in fact s/he is (at best) a
rank amateur who doesn't realize his/her limitations.  Trouble is, the
"tooner" sincerely believes s/he is an old pro. Sometimes a young "tooner"
will eventually realize the folly in over-estimating his/her abilities,
notice that there are old-timer professionals who are willing to help,
coach, and tutor if s/he studies hard, and becomes a real piano technician.
Sadly, some manage (somehow) to make a career of making careers for others
who have the exasperating responsibility of cleaning up the "tooner's" work
and informing the unfortunate piano owners that they are paying more to fix
the things the "tooner" ruined than it would have cost to do it right the
first time.

Somewhere in between is the student of piano technology who realizes that
s/he is not the finest concert tuner in town, that s/he cannot do the most
magnificent regulation on the finest instrument, that s/he has not seen
everything bad that can happen or be done to a piano. That student may or
may not have started life as a "tooner", but s/he has a chance at becoming
one of the best by recognizing his/her shortcomings and working hard to
overcome them.

BTW, there are "tooners" in every business.