no hammer rise

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jun 13 08:44:42 MDT 2008

The let off rack is a little more qualitative. Is the hammer barely
brushing, touching softly, touching firmly? And you are trying to get them
all to the same place. The let off rack also requires a wider table.

The Spurlock jig is pretty quantitative. You can see how much the hammer
shanks lift off the rail, or just listen for the click. And it doesn't
require a wide flat table. Do it on the piano lid, or bench. I use a small
2x4 ft plastic fold up table from Sam's. No room for a letoff rack on it.

I've used both. I feel much more confident and precise with the Spurlock jig
which is important to me since I started going for closer let off and drops.
It seems easier to use also. And I see more uniform results in the piano.

Another caveat, though. If the section you are regulating has agraffes of
uneven heights this jig won't work well. You will need to set each hammer
individually in the piano.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272