no hammer rise

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Jun 13 04:11:00 MDT 2008

Hi David:

If my memory serves me, you said in an earlier post that this was a Kohler
and Campbell, which would make it a Samick product.  When you go back to the
piano, I would take string height measurements, hammer center pin height,
and calculate what the hammer bore should be.   Then compare that to the
hammer bore that you measure off the hammer itself.  Years ago I was
regulating a small Samick grand that just didn’t want to regulate right.
The hammer bore was off by about ¼”.   A tell tale sign of this kind of
trouble will be that, when you have set the blow distance to roughly the
factory spec, the knuckle core and the jack don’t line up in that straight
line we all like to see.

It’s never a bad idea for any regulation job you are doing on a “new to you”
customer piano to do a quick and dirty hammer bore distance check prior to
beginning your regulation sequence.  It helps you avoid the creeping
“There’s something rotten in Denmark “ feeling that is then followed by
“Oh, s..t”, when you realize that you are 2/3 of the way through the job and
the piano’s geometry problems have painted you into a corner.  When you have
hammer bore distances that are gonzo like the above, the only solution is a
new set of properly bored hammers, which means your labors have been wasted.

When at let off, check to see what the distance from the bottom of the
hammer tail to the top of the back check is.  If the bottom of the tail is a
half mile above the top of the back check, that’s another warning sign.

Will Truitt