pitman retrofit

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Jun 12 21:20:58 MDT 2008

>I don't understand why you are essentially replacing what was there
>with the same thing?   You will continue to have the rubbing
>friction at both ends of the pitman...the dowel with punching at
>either end eliminates the friction..

How can a 1/4" rod with curved polished ends induce more friction
than a broad cloth
surface? With the OEM pitman, the majority of the friction was caused
by the sliding motion
on the tray and trap lever and being bound vertically by the bushing
cloth. With the thinner pitman replacement, the pitman travels
towards the front of the keybed hole during the pedal engagement. Due
to the nature of this forwards motion, the friction is lower on both
wooden and metal pitman rods and I would dare say that the difference
is negligible.

Regards,

Jon Page