impacted shop practices

Paul Chick tune4u at fmwildblue.com
Thu Jun 12 10:27:18 MDT 2008

Subject: Re: impacted shop practices

> Try using grade 8 chrome flat head socket screws, or stainless show
> polished.  No slips, no broken screws.  Works swell for nosebolts too.

Slickness! Machine thread, I presume. Custom, or available in
the real world?

Then again, I've been thinking black oxide would be neat too.

Ron N

I just delivered an upright that was restrung, and the works.  Instead of
grinding the pits (from rust) out of the hardware, I cleaned and blued them
with "Intense Blue"...Birchwood Casey Co....a common name in the gun shops.
All the screws and the pressure bar were done. The dark blue bolt and screw
heads and hardware matched the blued tuning pins. The dark blue color made
the red belly felts pop!, and it affectively hid the rust pits.  It took me
about 2 hours to complete.
Paul C