In Memoriam

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Thu Jun 12 10:14:51 MDT 2008

New
York City Piano Technicians Guild, Chapter 101 suffered a heavy and sad loss
with the unexpected and sudden passing of long time member Kalman Detrich
on June 8, 2008.  Kalman was an icon and national
treasure of the piano business community, not only an important and active
member of our chapter but a man whom our members and the community admired and
respected.

Elegant,
affable, sophisticated and gracious, Kalman was a man of prodigious
talents.  He loved teaching and bringing knowledge to
students of piano technology. Dedicated to the preservation and knowledge of
American piano making history, he founded the Museum of the American Piano.

Kalman's
piano store, rebuilding service, and museum was a fixture on piano row for many
years in the heart of midtown Manhattan.  Known for his
eclectic collection of rare and unusual pianos, he would go into great detail
explaining their history and design.  His employees were all
loyal to him and he acquired staff that had worked for other dealers and
manufacturers who stayed with him for years until his eventual
retirement.  These observations demonstrate the kind of man
Kalman Detrich was.
Kalman
was a musician, yoga practitioner, educator, art collector, and purveyor for
antique and early American pianos who dedicated most of his
 teaching the craft of piano technology and preserving the
history of pianos with his Museum of the American Piano.  His
museum would later move to a downtown location, however , after the World Trade
Center tragedy on 9/11, Kalman was forced to move.
He closed the museum and continued his school for piano technology, offering
high level training to technicians and refinishers.  One of my
assistants I had the privilege of working with and training attended Kalman's
school and came into the company with a high level of understanding and
skill.
Kalman
was my friend and mentor since my arrival to New York City in 1982.
 I have always admired and respected his philosophy in
life, business, human relations, work ethic, and pianos.  He
was an avid pilot and traveled with his wife all over the
world, constantly deciding what unknown corner of the world he
would go to next.  You could find him observing a tennis
match in Forest Hills or a car race at the track in Pennsylvania. Kalman was a
true Renaissance man. He will be missed, but will be remembered and cherished in
the memories of all who knew him.  In addition to his wife, Letty, he is
survived by his children, Dora Detrich, and Tamas Detrich, both of Stuttgart,
Germany; a brother Ernie Detrich of Budapest, Hungary; a sister, Kaiti Tako of
Arizona, and two grandchildren Sandor and Roman Detrich.

Please
visit WWW.KalmanDetrich.com for more
information.

Arlan