no hammer rise

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Jun 12 05:01:31 MDT 2008

Where is the drop set?

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Nereson
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:59 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: no hammer rise

    I'm trying to figure out why a grand action that seems to be
regulated correctly, in terms of all the various adjustments, still has
no hammer rise, even with the repetition springs compressed to almost
max.  Some of them rise just the tiniest amount.  On most actions, upon
letting up of pressure on the key (but not letting the key up), they
should rise from where they check, up to but not past the point of
let-off.  But these barely rise 1/16" if at all.   The checking distance
isn't abnormally high; the rep. springs aren't weak; the rep. levers
aren't pinned exceptionally tight; there's no gunk or goo hindering
them; I suppose powdered Teflon on the knuckles might help a bit, but
still . . . . I'm not sure what gives.  (It's a 1987 5'10" Kohler &
Campbell.)

    --David Nereson, RPT