impacted shop practices

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 10 17:23:06 MDT 2008

For years, I've used an impact wrench to pull tuning pins, and
think it's terrific. Recently, I used it to take out a set of
plate screws with an appropriate 3/8" square drive bit (Apex).
It worked wonderfully! The screws literally *leaped* out of
the pinblock as fast as I could move from one screw to the
next. Some of them even jumped clear out of the piano and I
had to chase them down. Today, I thought "what the heck", or
something along those lines, and used the same bit to drive
then back into the new block. I'm sold. I installed all of
what looked like at least 900 very shiny plate screws in about
15 or 20 minutes without breaking a sweat or chipping paint.
And that was being cautious. Screw heads look good too.

This may be something everyone on the planet but me already
knew, but if you didn't already, you ought to consider looking
into it.

Ron N