Henry Miller-reprise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jun 9 19:21:38 MDT 2008

> For years, I've been creating two small clear plexi templates with index
> holes drilled through to a drilled "dimple" on the front flange of the
> plate at the bass end and treble end. The plastic is 3/16" x 3" x 2" and
> is fitted to the rim and stretcher in the corners before making the
> index. The dimples are almost invisible if you don't know they're not
> supposed to be there. I used to do what you're describing and what Ron
> says he does until coming up with this way. You only need two points of
> the "triangle" to locate the plate again.
>
> Paul

I like the locator pins for a couple of reasons. If I don't
intend to move the plate, they get it back where it was
without me having to figure out where I misplaced the
templates, and the already rebuilt action will work without a
lot of drama. These same locators also index the soundboard
panel when I locate the ribs on the panel from the mortises,
and the rib and panel assembly when I locate the bridges from
the plate, which is on the same set of pins so it will all go
back together at the end just like I had it set up - if the
soundboard assembly isn't at a significantly different MC when
I install it. Or maybe I just like drilling holes in plates,
since I sure do plenty of that.

Ron N