To shred or not to shred?

Jim Moy jim at jimmoy.com
Sun Jun 8 22:44:39 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Tom Sivak <tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Seriously, is identity theft really such a big problem?  Do you know ANYONE
> who has had their identity stolen?   I don't, and I'm not in the least bit worried
> about it.

Yes, actually, I suffered a pretty heavy bout with it starting around
six years ago.  At the time there was less awareness, and less
willingness to do anything about it.

My social security number was out as well as my mother's maiden name,
which means they could basically do whatever they wanted.  I feel
lucky that I did not lose retirement investments, because if they had
been able to correlate it with anything they would've known where else
I was more vulnerable.  I had approximately a half-dozen bank
accounts, credit card accounts, and cell phone accounts opened in my
name.  It took many days of time (over calender years) to shut them
all down, get my credit bureau ratings straight, make all the police
filings (which caused no action to be taken, but was required by the
various institutions as cya), and wasted a hell of a lot of my time.
I have approximately three inches of file cabinet space occupied by
the artifacts of the experience.

They could not have gotten that information off a simple pre-filled
credit card application, so there was some other path by which my
information got out in the wild.  It's settled down to once or twice a
year now I get another "ding" on my credit rating.  It stressed me
greatly until I found the proper attitude of taking it in stride and
just "handling it" as it came.  It's like a chronic disease once you
catch it.

It is much easier these days to get things cleared up; the credit card
companies and banks know their business depends on people feeling safe
using their plastic and services.  But nevertheless, I have a shredder
up by the family desk and anything with personally identifiable info
on it other than my name and address goes through it.  Does it help,
who knows?  But I'm thinking of buying a bigger one that'll take 10-12
sheets at a time, at least it gives me the feeling I have a bit of
control over some of it.

That's just my story.  Make your own risk/vulnerability assessment.

Jim Moy
Moy Piano Service
Fort Collins, Colorado
Associate - PTG Boulder Chapter