To shred or not to shred?

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Jun 8 10:34:24 MDT 2008

Well, I think ID theft IS a bigger deal than some of the manufactured news,
but it doesn't happen as a result of phone lists.  I don't live in a big
city like Chicago, but I do know people that it has happened to in no small
way, and it is U-G-L-Y.

What CAN happen as a result of my not shredding my clients' less-than-public
information is that our not-exactly-freedom-giving government could get
their grubby little paws on it.  Will that happen? Very, VERY unlikely.
Could it? Could Uncle Sam or the state use something against them? Sure.
Possible. It's a simple, small courtesy I do for my customers.

In my former corporate job, I used to get calls from headhunters (I STILL DO
for that matter!) and the company insisted on special disposal of the
printed company phone directories when new ones were circulated. That was in
the company's interest so that these headhunters couldn't get their hands on
a book and start recruiting our staff for other businesses firms (oh, but it
sure did happen anyhow!)  I don't feel that's an issue here, and I have no
qualms about my name etc. going in the recycling (as opposed to needing to
be shredded.)

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN