Competitive Rates

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Jun 5 06:10:33 MDT 2008

Mike writes:

<< I'm not sure if I would have had the cojones to charge more than the

experienced guys in my area PTG or not, IMHO. >>

  Greetings,
   I think it is a mistake to base our prices on what another is charging.
This allows the other tech to determine our income and ultimately, always, be
ahead of us.  We are self-employed to be in control our our own lives, no?  The
better approach, imho, is to set the prices by what our clientele is telling
us. If we remain responsive to the business feedback, AND committed to
superior work, we will find our rightful place on this "Great Mandela".  There is no
reason that sufficient cash be lacking in this picture.
    I think it far better to "ride the crest" of pricing, in which you are
not booked more than a week or two ahead.  Our unique lifetime is the only thing
we have of real value, and when it is gone, it is gone forever.  We owe it to
ourselves to get top dollar for the time we are spending on other people's
equipment, and the experienced professional's time should be worth a lot more
than that of the one or two year novice.   If we work towards a higher return,
we will become well-paid, experienced professionals instead of burned out hacks
working for wages that are 10 years out of date.
       If you don't have a certain percentage of customers mention your
price, you aren't charging enough, since there are  people out there that feel like
anything is too expensive, and if you don't hear from them, you are really
selling yourself cheap.    If your phone isn't ringing, you may be charging
beyond your skill level, (or have really bad b.o.).   If your tunings are booked
three months ahead, you ain't charging enough.
     Risks and gains are proportional, if we want to progress, we have to
take some risks.  Over the course of our career, the fear of losing customers
because of our price will cost far more than actually losing those customers.  It
can be useful as a rough starting guide in one's area to check other prices,
but once embarked on the unique career each of of carves out of this
life-experience, our income shouldn't depend on what other techs think of themselves.
It should depend our our sensitivity to what our clientele will bear, and our
faith that quality creates its own market.
regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch
"Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.<BR>
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002)</HTML>