Drilling techniques was----: CA Glue for pin blocks

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Tue Jun 3 20:52:44 MDT 2008

An earlier post suggested the time between drill and stringing might be significant.  At least one manufacturer would not allow a pinblock to be drilled if it could not be strung the same day.  No pianos were left at the end of the day, with open tuning pin holes.  I was never involved in any testing to verify whether this is a significant factor in quality results.  Other companies gave absolutely no consideration to this, with no problems that could be associated with this variable.  However, it must also be observed, that in the normal flow of things, it would have been very unlikely that a drilled pinblock would  have been in line more than a day or two before stringing.

Another earlier post suggested that the problem might be the tuning pins rather than the drilling.  Baldwin checked every tuning pin that went into there grands, and there were a significant number of pins that failed the test of a "go/no-go" gage.  Each pin must fit into hole A butt not hole B.  It was also found that there were a significant number of pins that were out-of-round, but this was most often the case with rolled-thread pins, rather than cut threads.

My apologies to the writers of the posts I referenced, for not citing the post or directly quoting from them.  I lost track of them before responding to this thread.

Frank Emerson