The eyes have it : - )

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Tue Jun 3 08:33:13 MDT 2008

Hello all,
I've been lurking for a while and respectfully ask to come back into the fold.
It's fun to see such good banter amongst friends.

Garret,
First off, hooray for your optometrist for suggesting to connect with others. Networking does work!
I consulted with my wife, Ophthalmology professional, and comments were as follows:

1. Whatever feels right,  continue to use.
Each person likes or dislikes certain formulas for corrective eye vision.  (Sounds like the discussions on the list eh?)
2. If, after receiving new glasses there is a problem (bad vision, headaches,your girlfriend/spouse now looks like Heather Locklear etc.etc.) Have the lenses checked to see if the prescription was properly made AND properly fitted into the frames. Minor variances in the lens or angle do matter.
3. A optometrist or similar company (lens crafters/hour eyes/ pearl vision/sears/walmart) is totally different from a Ophthalmologist  (Medical Degree) The Opthalmogist and offices prescribe the order, the Optometrist just fills the order.

I have seen reverse lenses made which have the close up correction on the top rather than the bottom. Many (older) car mechanics and machinists use these.
As far as my glasses. I have progressive lenses for everyday use. I also have a corrective pair (half rims) for close work which I use while doing bench work. I also have a full rim set for bench work. I also do not wear contacts as I have had glasses for so long that they act as "goggles" and keep the junk out of my eyes.

With regard to reading glasses, again from Diane, go to the dollar store or Wallmart, or Target, or similar place and get the glasses there. You can find the pair (design) you like with the proper correction (1,1.5,2,2.5 etc) and they will be just as good as if you paid big bucks at a glasses place.

I hope this helps and just keep in mind that it's just age.
Gerry
Gerry Cousins