CA Glue for pin blocks

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Mon Jun 2 20:05:30 MDT 2008

Hi Jonathan,

I can not speak to the first question. I believe most techs would prefer to
replace the pin block if the CA treatment fails.

The pins feel quite tight and may make a distinct "pop" or "click" on the
first tuning after application. (I prefer to use lots)

The pins do not jump.

The life span appears to be 12 years or much longer if humidity is
carefully controlled after application. Retreatment may be possible but is
much less effective than the original application.

I've only had one failure out of all the pianos I have used it on--so I'm
not sure where you got your 10% failure rate from. I'd say the failure rate
for "high dose" applications is essentially zero--as the one failure was
from the pins becoming so tight that they sheared off.

At 05:04 PM 6/2/2008 -0700, you wrote:
> I'm new to this list and I'm not sure if I sent this before I was actually
>signed up.  So I hope I'm not repeating myself.  Has anybody had any
>experience using CA glue on pin blocks and subsequently restringing?  How
>do the pins feel after a treatment?  Do they jump? How long does it last?
>And if they do start losing their hold after a few years, or if the job
>turns out to be one of the 10% that doesn't work, can one still go back to
>simply restringing?
>Thanks
>Jonathan BestPrescott
Regards,