too picky about tuning

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 11:23:41 MDT 2008

Just got back. Piano was in surprisingly good tune - nothing more than two
or three cents off. Only about a dozen notes with whining unisons. Not bad
for seven months after a 25-cent pitch raise.

So she's playing up in the high treble on her finely crafted 1960 Janssen
console and says "hear that - that note is bad". I won't share the full
range of thoughts that occurred to me at that point. But yes, it did sound
bad. Checked octaves and they were "good". Showed her on the Verituner that
all was within a couple cents of target. She keeps hitting D#7 and says
"that sounds bad". So we start talking about what "bad" sounds like.
Ahhhhh - she says "it sounds like a toy piano". Duhhhhhhhhh! Couldn't argue
with that!

You know that sound - a wooden hammer striking a log.

So that was it - the treble sounded like a toy piano. I explained to her
that her piano was - er, um...... - sub-optimal and that it sounded
consistent with others in its lofty class. I ended up not tuning a single
string, she was happy, she will start looking for a replacement piano, and I
largely wasted a morning - but did some good will anyway. Hey, it was a nice
morning for a motorbike ride!

Terry Farrell