too picky about tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 07:38:59 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>  Interesting and timely post David. I'm off to an appointment this morning
> to look at my second complaint in ten years about my tuning. The first one
> was about five years ago and the lady was a looney. I wonder how this one
> will shake out - it's been six months, but she said it "went out" right away
> after I tuned it. I know I shouldn't do anything for her at no charge, but I
> likely will - largely because of low number of complaints I've had.

I've only had a couple complaints about tuning stability.  Both were climate
related.  One of my regulars had me tune hers just before the humidity began
dropping for the winter.  Since she was a good customer, I touched up the
most out of tune sections for free, but explained the root cause was the
weather.  And I wouldn't do this for free again.  It's usually not our
fault, no matter how insecure we might feel about our work.

And I surely wouldn't give any freebies after 4-5 days time.  I think Dean
Howell stated in his book on Professional Piano Tuning that his invoices had
a line to the effect that any complaint about the tuning needed to be made
within a week's time.  But as you said, it happens so rarely that you might
want to do a freebie for business' sake.  I just don't think I would in this
scenario.  Be strong, dude! <g>

--
JF