Need Some Input

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Jul 24 21:28:43 MDT 2008

Matthew,
    Good posting.
It seems like you have already made the diagnosis
 The click is usually a missing but felt square or one with too much glue
but if If the buckskin is worn off--replace it along with the square.
 If one butt has this problem the rest may be suspect also .
The squeak from the key pin-bushing interface is common especially on some  Asian piano's and can be eliminated with lubrication or if necessary  rebushing.
Teflon powder, protek, VJ lube,TFL50  --but NO graphite ( in my opinion) all have their place in the squeak hunt.
The capstan to whippen cushion or sticker cloth  can be the cause also  so check and lube there also if necessary.

A good tip told to me a thousand years ago is this:

Each note is it's own little machine. If  for example C -40 has a click , look at the B39 and C#41 machine that don't click. You have two non symptomatic examples to compare the problem note with.
Observe and compare and you will have the answer.
You're on the right track because you isolated the problems .
As the late great Newton Hunt once told me     "Trust yourself and do good work"
Best wishes,
    Tom Driscoll