Filling fingernail gouges on fallboard

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jul 24 19:10:40 MDT 2008

Ed,

That sounds like a plan.  Here's an interesting one.  A Wurlitzer upright,
epoxy finish that has a HUGE piece missing from the left cheek.  It's
probably 8-9 inches long with all veneer, finish, etc gone, just the
plywood showing on the curve from just where it starts at the music-desk
area to around the curve down to the key-slip.....ie  two curves.

How does one fix this one?????  It's a real yucky piano, and in a practice
room, so I'm not too concerned.  It would be nice to fix it up some
though.....  A great practice project... As Richard West always tells
me... "There's another reason they call them practice rooms!! "

Thanks in advance!

Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music
5 Westbrook Bldg.
University of Nebraska
Lincoln NE  68588
pwilliams4 at unl.edu

A440A at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
07/24/2008 07:58 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: Filling fingernail gouges on fallboard

BD writes:

<< What would you recommend to fill fingernail gouges in the fall board?

     That is a bit tougher, unless it is ebony, then it is simple to dye
an
epoxy, fill in, sand down, polish, play etc.  .  For wood, I suppose you
could
use a very small, thin veneer and scarf the individual sections that
needed
it.  Use the thinnest veneer possible for enough flexibility to fill small

depressions.
    If the dig was deeper than the veneer thicness,  build up the bottom
of
the dig with some Durham's and glue in with hot tide glue, which I think
helps
soften the veneer better and quicker than the aliphatics and modern glue.
        The glue line on a joint like this is going to be visible, and
worth
it to minimize.  The hot hide glue, used extremely thin, over a properly
sized
joint, is almost undetectable, depending on the evenness of the scarfing.
Cliff Geers was particularly adept at this technique and had a pictoral
tutorial
of a job he did around the case of a Baldwin with a lot of veneer damage.
If
you didnt' know where to look, you would not have been aware of the
repair.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Get fantasy football with free live
scoring.
Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.<BR>
(http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)</HTML>