Repinning

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 10:03:22 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>
wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have become frustrated lately trying to find a decent "kit" for my
> repinning tools.  I have tried several, but they do not suit my needs for
> the jobs.
>
> I have all my repinning tools laying out and I am curious as to what some
> of you use for a repinning kit.  Something that works well to hold your
> tools, pliers, cutter, center pins, and all misc. tools to complete the job.
>

> Thank you
> Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Like most of the others I have a dedicated set of tools for repinning, my
repinning tool, removal on one side, new pin press on the other. A good set
of flush cutting nippers, the Manino broaches in the tool roll it came in,
center pin gauge, flange bushing drill, bushing cloth, razor blade, a small
flat file for any pins that need a little flattening after cutting(rare now
that I bought new nippers). My original reamer & burnisher, which I seldom
use now, the gauge, file, drill, razor blade and file are all fitted into a
small soft sided case I adapted that was for a cheap set of
mini-screwdrivers. The case was much nicer than the screwdrivers!<g>

I keep it all in a dedicated bag that looks like the bank deposit bags I've
seen businesses use, I found them at Walmart, hanging on the end of an
aisle. They come in assorted colors, red, beige, light blue, etc. they are
11&1/4" by 7". They can be written on with a marker so you can put your name
on them in case you forget it somewhere. They are a synthetic material and
fairly sturdy, with a top zipper. They are fairly inexpensive.

I have also dedicated one to hammer shank replacement/repair tools such as
hammer head/butt extractors, grand shank press, shank clamp and a small roll
of kite string. Hammer shank cutters, drill bit, and shank reducer.
I also have one for one to string replacement/repair/knotting tools, a
tuning pin, stringing crank, shop made coil maker, shop made loop maker,
coil setter and stringing hook. I keep a supply of wire and bass string
tails in a case in my car.
I have these bags in my "backup" tool box in my car so I can grab'em and go.

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com