somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 20:52:12 MDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul T Williams <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:21 pm
Subject: Re: somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?

The day I quit learning stuff is the day I die.

Every meeting I learn something. ?Especially from the "old timers". ?There is no way anyone can learn it all! ?How else are we to continue to better this profession but to listen, HEAR, and record these bits of info our more senior members have to offer. Those that don't are closed minded and are unwilling to learn.. pity.....Can't teach an old dogs new tricks so to speak. ?I have several folders to hold info I come across here and in the CAUT list. ?They're always good to browse through and remind me of new for old info I either didn't know or remind me of "tricks" to fix certain problems. And, there's always something new! ?If there is a thread on a certain topic that I'm not working on at the time, I store it in the correct folder for future reference. ?It has, as some have said, "saved my butt" ?in many occassions. I hope, Wim, that you can encourage your chapter members to attend meetings.....we have the same problem in Nebraska where we have the same 6-8 people come, but there are 20 or so members. ?Distance is a factor, but, still, I used to commute 2 hours to our Seattle meetings, including a ferry boat to attend getting home at 1am,(or later..the last boat left at 1am) so I have no sympathy for those who say, "it's too far"..... Shame on you. ?I have a family and "life" ?too...It's only once a month for God's sake....

Paul

Thanks for contributing.??A couple of things. The Hawaii chapter?has 12 members, including one who lives in Japan, and two who live on the other?"outer islands".?There?are only 6?members who live?on Oahu. The other 14 tuners are non-members,?and from what I've been told, they've never shown an interest. I'm just going to try to light a fire and see what happens.?

When I was in Alabama, I would drive 3 hours to?Atlanta?to attend their chapter meetings, in addition to the Alabama chapter meetings. As with all chapters, there are members who?wouldn't come to a meeting even if it was three?blocks away. Go figure.

Wim