somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 23 11:00:02 MDT 2008

> I guess that's the difference when you really LEARN something.  You
> never forget it.
>
> JF

That's why I don't understand the people who don't read the
list unless they want a specific answer, and don't seem
concerned as to why things work like they do. There has been a
bunch of times something I read here saved my butt years after
I read it, when I had no earthly use for it at the time.
People mostly seem to want isolated lick and stick factoids,
specific to the crisis du jour and expiring on application,
rather than long term integrated systems of basic principles
applicable to almost anything. Handing them a "what" may solve
their current problem, but if they care enough to bother to
work out the "why", they can avert a thousand future problems
and get into trouble at much higher and more interesting
levels than before.

"What you have been obliged to discover by yourself leaves a
path in your mind which you can use again when the need arises"
--- G. C. Lichtenberg ---

"It is little short of a miracle that modern methods of
instruction have not already completely strangled the holy
curiosity of inquiry"
--- Albert Einstein ---

Off to turn over a few rocks,
Ron N